Custom Search

Monday, March 16, 2009

Beagle Boy 1

This blog is for anyone who loves dogs...especially Beagles.

Koda came into our lives about seven years ago. A full bred beagle, he ran out in front of my car three days in a row. Three days in a row his life was spared with the slamming of my brakes. My neck was beginning to feel the effects after three days of simulated whiplash. Apparently, the beagle and I both had to be somewhere every weekday at three o' clock. Well, I had to pick up my children from school each day. What appointments did he have? Hmph!

Alright, alright! Enough is enough. On the third day it was clear to me that I was going to have to have a talk with this clumsy beagle. On that particular day, he wasn't much to look at and having a close encounter with him would prove that he was even less of a looker. Pulling my minivan over on the shoulder, I got out to meet this little man face to face. I could see that he was rather timid. If I was going to have my chance at giving him a stern talking to I would have to win him over first.

I tried all my usual doggie coaxing charms.
"Here boy...treat!" barely resulted in a mere glance over the shoulder.
He was nonchalantly headed toward the oncoming traffic. I hurried to step between him and the road. He simply headed in a new direction. This went on for some time. The pursuit ended when his little sniffer led him straight into a trash can that was now laying on the ground. The lingering smells of past delicacies beckoned him like a burglar to a bank. I pulled the stinky hound out by his hindquarters.

Our eyes met with equal surprise. We shared a look of understanding. It was like meeting a long lost friend. "Come on , boy," was all I said. Willingly, he obliged and jumped right in the family van.


To be continued.....

1 comment:

  1. oh well isnt that story just grand dear. =]

    have good day mate

    ReplyDelete